Vegetable Oils & Nutritional Values
Vegetable oils are edible. They are also called vegetable fats. They are made from seeds or some fruits or their parts.
Some commonly used vegetable oils are sunflower oil, soybean oil, coconut oil, cocoa butter, grape seed oil, olive oil, palm oil, and rice bran oil, etc.
They are made by extracting oil from plant components (seeds).
They are used to add flavor, calories, fats and carbohydrates to food.
Other uses of vegetable oils:
1. To produce biodegradable hydraulic fluid and lubricants.
2. To make some pet foods.
3. To manufacture biodiesel.
4. To make soaps, skin products, candles, perfumes, and other cosmetic products.
5. To manufacture paints and wood treatment products.
6. To be used as insulators in electrical equipment.